By the San Fernando Valley Sun/El Sol and City News Service
Angelica Cruz is a longtime vendor at the San Fernando Swap Meet who, like other vendors, has been idled since March when the Swap Meet was closed due to the health pandemic caused by the coronavirus.
Cruz was looking forward to finally resuming her operation this July 4 holiday weekend. The Swap Meet was scheduled to open again on Tuesday, June 30. But a startling spike in the number of COVID-19 cases — not only LA countywide, but statewide and other parts of the US — scuttled those plans.
“I’ve been selling there since my daughter was born,” Cruz told the San Fernando Valley Sun/ElSol. “This is my only source of income. We had struggled the last two years because the sales dropped significantly. The weather also plays a high role for us setting up our stands. This place doesn’t give us credit for the lost days. In addition they increased the rent.
“They do not give us any information and I’m afraid of losing the spaces I have been paying for all these past 17 years. I feel hopeless because I’m a single mother, I do not have a social security number, and for the same reason I don’t qualify for unemployment or for any grant given by the government.”
City Manager Nick Kimball told the San Fernando Valley Sun/El Sol that Swap Meet employees “are still working to implement the proper safety protocols mandated by the County of Los Angeles, so they have pushed their tentative re-opening date to July 7.” But he warned that it could all change per the governor/city/county implementing new restrictions.
A call to the Swap Meet office offers a recording that they are closed until further notice.
County health officials reported a disturbing rise in the new number of COVID-19 cases on Monday, June 29, and said that without a dramatic reversal in public behavior to control the coronavirus, “we will see a lot more deaths” and possibly run short of hospital beds in a matter of weeks.
The latest increase rise had already caused Gov. Gavin Newsom to again order all bars closed in Los Angeles County. And county officials themselves announced that all of its beaches will be closed during the upcoming Fourth of July holiday weekend in hopes of preventing large gatherings.
Local health officials paint a dire picture of upward spikes in coronavirus cases and spread and estimate that on average, one in every 140 people in Los Angeles County is infected with COVID-19 and capable of spreading it to others, likely without having any symptoms or even knowing they are carrying the virus. That figure is up dramatically from last week, when the estimate was one in every 400 people.
“What this means is that Angelenos in the activities of daily living when they go out are very likely to be in the locations or near persons who are currently infectious, and in fact a large typical store is likely to have multiple infectious persons enter the shop every day,” said Dr. Roger Lewis, who leads the county’s statistical modeling efforts.
Dr. Christina Ghaly, the county’s health services director, noted the “stark change’’ in hospitalizations over the past week, with nearly 1,900 people (at press tile) currently hospitalized, up from about 1,300 at the beginning of June. She said if that trend continues, the county could quickly run out of intensive-care unit beds, forcing hospitals to adjust operations and create additional ICU space.
She noted that given the 14-day incubation period of the virus, even if the spread stopped immediately, uncounted numbers of people have already been infected and will impact the health system in the coming weeks.
“The rising patient volume in our hospitals will likely fill all of the intensive care unit beds that are currently available,’’ she said.
Lewis said the problem would go beyond just ICU beds.
“The expected increase in hospitalizations, assuming the increase in (transmission rates) continues ... suggest that we are at risk of running out of hospital beds if we don’t take steps to increase that capacity within the next two to three weeks,” Lewis said. He stressed that many of the people who will need those beds in coming weeks “are people who have already been exposed.”
The warnings came on a day the county announced a daily record 2,903 new cases of the coronavirus, pushing the total over the six-figure mark, reaching 100,772. Long Beach and Pasadena, which have their own health departments, added 186 more cases. At press time, the newest cases have increased the countywide total to 105,507.
The county also announced another 22 deaths, while Long Beach confirmed five more fatalities, bringing the countywide total to 3,331.
With test results now available for more than 1 million individuals, 9% are testing positive in the county. The seven-day average of the daily positivity rate has increased from 5.8% two weeks ago to 8.4% as of Monday.
Some officials have attributed the rise in overall cases to increases in testing, but county officials said repeatedly in recent days that the metrics clearly demonstrate an increase in community spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
Health officials said on June 26 that cases affecting younger people between 18 and 40 have jumped by 42% over the past two weeks, making that age group the driving factor in the increases.
Health officials pointed to a variety of issues leading to the spike in cases, noting increasing numbers of people visiting restaurants, bars, beaches and stores, and also attending mass protests against police brutality, and visiting relatives and friends.
County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged the problem of quarantine fatigue and conceded that residents are anxious to get back to normal life and may see the reopening of businesses as a sign the virus is disappearing — leading to a lack of social distancing and a failure to wear face coverings.
Ferrer said that problem played out over the past two weeks, saying that during the weekend of June 20, roughly 500,000 people visited bars and night spots.
Ferrer said restaurants and bars continue to struggle with fully adhering to all of the safety protocols for operating. She said of the establishments visited by inspectors over the weekend, 49% of bars and 33% of restaurants were failing to meet physical distancing requirements. She said 54% of bars and 44% of restaurants were violating the requirement that workers wear face masks and shields.
Overall, 83% of restaurants were found to be in violation of some aspect of the operating guidelines, as were 65% of retail stores.
“... Three weeks out (from) the restaurants reopening for in-person dining, we still have almost half of our restaurants not in compliance,” she said. “... We’ve seen examples of overcrowding at our beaches and some of our public spaces and again noticed that people are not wearing their face coverings and not physical distancing.”
She also said she’s gotten an “explosion” of new outbreaks in workplaces that are being operated without health protocols.