Last Update: Thursday, April 24, 2014
|FAMILY FEATURES- Ho, Ho, Holiday Treats Make the Season Simple and Sweet|
|Written by Family Features|
|Thursday, 05 December 2013 06:20|
Nothing says home for the holidays like the smell of treats baking in the oven and a crowded kitchen filled with loved ones. Whether making decades-old family favorites or starting new holiday baking traditions, you can create homemade holiday goodies in a (ginger) snap.
"The holidays are a time when families are in the kitchen at record rates to bake cookies, build gingerbread houses and create a wide variety of sweet treats," says Nancy Siler, vice president of consumer affairs at Wilton. "The good news is, even if you only have 30 minutes to spare during this hectic time, you can make amazing desserts for gatherings or gifting."
Try these easy treat ideas from Wilton to spread holiday cheer:
* Holiday Helpers: Invite family and friends for a cookie decorating day to help prepare gifts for upcoming events. You provide the Sparkling Sugars and Sprinkles, Peppermint Twisted Sticks and red and green icing ... everyone else provides the creativity.
* Miracle on Your Street: Crunched for time with a party to attend? Pick up ready-to-eat cookies and artfully dip them in red and green Candy Melts candy for an elegant upgrade. No one has to know how simple it was to create a customized dessert.
* Instant Snowman: Coat peanut butter sandwich cookies in white Candy Melts candy to create instant snowmen. Decorate with hats, scarves and, of course, carrot noses.
* It's a Wrap: Turn your homemade treats into gourmet gifts. Stock up on holidaythemed gift bags and boxes, colorful tissue paper, ribbons and tags to transform madefrom- the-heart goodies into extra special gifts.
For more holiday ideas and inspiration, visit www.wilton.com.
Sweet Snowmen Cookies
White, Red, Green, Black and Orange Candy Melts Candy
Peanut butter sandwich cookies
Holiday Confetti, Holiday and Snowflake Mix Sprinkles
Black Sugar Pearls
Silver Pearlized Sugar
Melt white Candy Melts candy following package instructions. Place cookies on cooling grid positioned over parchmentlined cookie sheet. Spoon melted candy over top surface of cookie; chill 5 to 10 minutes or until set. Turn cookies over, candy side down, on cooling grid. Completely cover cookies with melted candy; chill 5 to 10 minutes or until set. Repeat, if needed, to completely cover cookie.
To decorate snowmen, melt Candy Melts candy following package instructions as needed. Using red, green and white candy in candy or disposable decorating bag, pipe hats, ear muff band and scarves, adding colored sugar trim to candy before it sets. For ball cap, cut a Candy Melt candy wafer in half; attach with melted candy. Attach sprinkles for buttons, ear muffs and decorative accents using dots of melted candy. Using melted black candy and decorating bag, pipe facial features. Using melted orange candy and decorating bag, pipe nose.
Merry Marshmallow Sticks
White, Red, Green and Dark Cocoa Candy Melts candy
Holiday Confetti, Nonpareils and Colored Sugars
In Disposable Dipping Container or bowl, melt Candy Melts candy separately following package instructions. Dip marshmallows in melted candy and place on cooling grid positioned over parchment-lined cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkle with sugars and sprinkles. Chill 5 to 10 minutes or until set.
Using candy decorating bag or disposable decorating bag, drizzle melted candy or pipe outlines, if desired; immediately sprinkle with sugars or nonpareils. Attach confetti with dots of melted candy. Chill 2 to 3 minutes or until set.
With point of sharp knife, carefully cut through candy on the marshmallow where stick will be inserted. Insert three marshmallows onto each Colored Lollipop Stick, securing with melted candy.
Jolly Santa's Treat Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Red, Green and White Cookie Icing
Red and Dark Green Colored Sugars
White Sparkling or Pearlized Sugar
White Sugar Pearls
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts; mix well. Add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Do not chill dough. Divide dough into 2 balls.
On floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 inches diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Dip Cookie Hugger or "Ho-Ho" Word cookie cutters in flour before each use.
Bake cookies on ungreased cookie sheet 8 to 11 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool cookies completely. Outline and fill-in cooled cookies with Cookie Icing. For "Ho-Ho" cookies, sprinkle with sugars; let set until icing is completely dry. For snowflake cookie, add white Cookie Icing detail to dried cookie; attach Sugar Pearls with dots of icing.
Peanut Butter Cup Icebox Pie
Makes 8 servings
2 (7.4 ounce) packages Martha White(r) Chocolate Chocolate Chip Flavored Muffin Mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups whole milk
1 cup Jif(r) Creamy Peanut Butter
1 (8 ounce) container of whipped topping
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 chocolate peanut butter cups, crushed
1. HEAT oven to 350 ̊F. In a large bowl, combine muffin mixes and butter until well combined. Press evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
2. BAKE 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, WHISK pudding mix with milk according to package directions until set.
4. BEAT in peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add whipped topping and fold in with a spatula until well combined.
5. POUR over cookie crust. Cover and freeze one hour.
6. In a medium bowl, add chocolate chips and corn syrup. In a small microwave- safe bowl, microwave heavy cream two minutes or until just boiling.
7. POUR over chocolate chips and let stand two minutes. Whisk slowly until fully combined and thickened, and drizzle evenly over top of pie. Garnish with crushed peanut butter cups.
8. COVER and refrigerate 30 minutes and up to overnight.
Jif is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 December 2013 00:17|