Last Update: Thursday,March 06, 2014
|FAMILY FEATURES- Family Fun Around the Grill|
|Written by San Fernando Valley Sun|
|Thursday, 26 July 2012 03:15|
Preparing a meal on the grill can be fun for the whole family. Gather the kids and get them involved in the meal from start to finish for an easy way to spend more quality time together.
Rebecca P. Cohen, author of "15 Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids," is a big believer in spending time outdoors together as a family. "We make a point of getting outside every day. Spending quality time as a family is important, and centering that time around an outdoor activity like grilling is a great way to do that," says Cohen.
Cohen offers some tips for enjoying fun outdoor meals with the family:
• Create a topping bar - Set out a plastic tablecloth and some kid-friendly dipping sauces, condiments and toppings, such as ketchup, grated cheese, mayonnaise, hummus and more. Have the kids prepare their favorite dipping sauces and toppings and line them up in colorful bowls.
• Make the meal grill-friendly - Look for foods and recipes that can be prepared directly on the grill, such as New Ore- Ida(r) Grillers. These thick-cut, round slices of potato go from freezer to grill, where they cook in just 15 minutes and serve as a perfect side dish that goes hand in hand with your favorite toppings and dipping sauces. This way, you can spend less time inside preparing and more time outside enjoying!
• Make it fun - What's a cookout without family fun? Make the most of your cook time by incorporating some simple yet fun activities. Try racing with ice cubes on your spoons or tossing a refreshing ice cube back and forth. For more cool fun, freeze fruit juice in ice cube containers with popsicle sticks for a refreshing treat.
• Enjoy a grill-side snack - Plan a special late night snack with s'mores on the grill. Try flavored marshmallows like chocolate, strawberry and toasted coconut, or spice up the graham crackers with sprinkled cinnamon and sugar. Try to name the constellations while you enjoy a late night snack together under the stars.
Who doesn't want an extra fifteen minutes to spend with family and friends? Get them around the grill using these and other recipes from www.OreIda.com.
Glazed Chicken and Grillers
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
• 1 bag Ore-Ida Grillers
• 1 bottle (10 ounces) Heinz 57 Sauce
• 1/4 cup honey
• 8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Put Grillers on a hot grill. Cook according to package directions.
In a medium bowl, whisk together sauce and honey.
Grill chicken over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes. Brush both sides liberally with sauce mixture, turn over and grill for additional 4 to 6 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness.
Cook until chicken is no longer pink, or to an internal temperature of 165∞F.
Loaded Potato Grillers
Cook time: 15 minutes
• 18 Ore-Ida Grillers
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup bacon bits
• Sour cream
Prepare Grillers per package instructions.
After 12 minutes, distribute cheese evenly on top (you may need more or less).
Grill for 3 more minutes, to melt cheese.
Transfer to platter, garnish with bacon bits, scallions and sour cream as desired.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 26 July 2012 03:26|