Last Update: Thursday, April 17, 2014
|Bocanegra, Alarcon Advance to November Election for 39th District|
|Written by Alex Garcia Sun Contributing Writer|
|Thursday, 07 June 2012 04:19|
NICK UT/AP PHOTO
If you're tired of all the attack ads in the mail from the camps of Raul Bocanegra and Richard Alarcon, get ready for more, as they both advanced to the November election in the race for the 39th district.
With 100 percent of the election precinct reports tallied from June 5 elections, Bocanegra received 36.4 percent of the vote (9,201) while Alarcon had 27 percent (6,818) to finish second.
With an open primary, where the two leading vote getters advance to the general election on Nov. 6 regardless of party affiliation, Bocanegra and Alarcon, both Democrats, will vie for the seat left vacant by now termed-out state Assemblyman Felipe Fuentes (D-Arleta).
And that means more attack ads flooding your mailbox, as the race has already been marked by accusations from both sides.
In late April, Alarcon, a veteran political figure and Los Angeles City Councilmember for the 7th District, stood before a Pacoima condominium complex and accused Bocanegra, a former legislative aide, of jumping ahead of 250 others in line and obtaining a $50,000, zero percent interest free loan from the City of Los Angeles to purchase one of the units in the building in 2005.
When Bocanegra allegedly obtained the loan, he worked as housing deputy for then councilmember Alex Padilla and worked with developers constructing the 28-unit building at the corner of Osborne Street and Osborne Place.
Bocanegra denied Alarcon's allegations and concentrated his attacks on the 2010 felony indictment by a Los Angeles grand jury, including perjury and voter fraud charges, weighing against Alarcon and his wife Flora for allegedly not living in the Panorama City home listed as his voting address. Instead, he was allegedly living in a Sun Valley home outside his district. In late February, Bocanegra also filed an official Ethics Complaint because Alarcon was paying for his legal defense fees from his Assembly Campaign Committee.
Alarcon, who pled not guilty to the charges, has said he was not living in the Panorama City home for a time because it had been inhabited by a burglar who squatted there one night and caused extensive damage, and he had moved back in after repairs were made. He also said he did nothing improper in using campaign funds for his legal defense, and charged that campaigns often do this.
Although a Superior Court judge, citing several procedural errors by the Los Angeles county District Attorney's office, initially dismissed the charges in May, District Attorney Steve Cooley has re-filed the case.
The 39th District covers Pacoima, San Fernando, Arleta, Mission Hills, Sylmar, North Hollywood, Lake View Terrace, Northeast Granada Hills, Sunland-Tujunga, and Sun Valley.
Besides Alarcon and Bocanegra, there were also three Republican candidates in the race – Omar Cuevas, Margie Carranza and Ricardo Benitez – as well as Green Party candidate Jack Lindblad.
Benitez received 15.5 percent of the vote (3,928), followed by Cuevas with 8.1 percent (2,049). Lindblad collected 7.5 percent (1,895) of the vote, while Carranza received 5.2 percent (1,334).
|Last Updated on Thursday, 07 June 2012 21:01|