Last Update: Thursday, May 23, 2013
|City Council Approves $50K Reward in Unsolved Hollywood Hills Beheading|
|Written by San Fernando Valley Sun|
|Thursday, 02 August 2012 03:36|
LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously to offer a $50,000 reward for information leading to a conviction in the murder of a 66-year-old man whose severed head was found earlier this year in the Hollywood Hills.
Capt. William Hayes, commanding officer of the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery Homicide Division, said the reward was necessary because detectives have "not come up with any suspects or any substantial information.''
On Jan. 17, two women hiking near Canyon Drive were led by one of the dogs they were walking to a head in a plastic bag. The next day, trained cadaver dogs found two hands and two feet near a shallow grave.
The coroner's office identified the remains as those of Hervey Medellin Coronado, a former Mexicana Airlines employee who lived with a roommate in a third-floor apartment on the 6000 block of DeLongpre Avenue in Hollywood and hiked regularly in the area where his body was found.
Hayes said Medellin left his apartment on Dec. 27, 2011, and was reported missing to the LAPD's Hollywood station a few days before his remains were found.
Police in January served a search warrant at his building and towed a silver Honda from the complex, but no arrests were made.
"We're still looking at some of that stuff,'' Hayes said.
Councilman Tom LaBonge, who represents the area where the remains were found, called the murder a "heinous crime.''
"I believe that someone that commits a crime like this, such a heinous crime, they would commit crime again,'' he said.
LaBonge noted he hikes daily in Griffith Park, and said the crime should not deter people from using the park.
Anyone with information about the beheading was urged to call (877) LAPD- 24-7. All tips can be made anonymously.