Last Update: Thursday,March 06, 2014
|Autism Risk: USC/CHLA Research Shows Danger of Air Pollution to Infants|
|Written by Alex Garcia|
|Thursday, 29 November 2012 06:32|
The man suspected in a recent shooting death in San Fernando has been apprehended. Randall Ortiz, 50, a resident of Los Angeles, turned himself in on Nov. 25 at San Fernando Police Department (SFPD), Lt. Tony Vairo said.
"Last Wednesday, we had a warrant for his arrest", Vairo said. "We were in contact with him and he was cooperative. And on Sunday, he turned himself in."
Ortiz suspected of killing John Paul Villalta, 28, who was shot several times on Nov. 11, at around 10:30 p.m., in the back parking lot of an apartment building along the 300 block of Hagar Street.
Authorities said an argument between the victim and another man led to Villalta being shot several times near a dumpster. He managed to walk about 20 feet until he fell between two parked cars.
"There was a dispute and unfortunately it resulted in the shooting that killed the victim," said Vairo, who could not disclose more information as to the motive of the shooting. He did say, however, the shooter and victim did not know each other.
SFPD Chief Robert Parks recently described the incident as "a couple of people were drinking beers and someone drove by in a car. That person shot the victim with a rifle." Vairo had previously said that Ortiz was identified as the suspect in the shooting within 48 hours after it happened. Since then, they had been tracking him down and building up the case.
Vairo said Ortiz faces murder charges and a $2 million bail. San Fernando police are still looking for the suspect in the Oct. 6 stabbing of Diego Martinez.
Martinez, 27, died in the hospital after he was stabbed by another man in the rear parking lot of the 7 Mares Restaurant, located in the 1100 block of First Street in San Fernando.
"Two males got in an altercation and the victim was stabbed in the neck," explained Parks last week.
Police said a suspect was identified within hours of the stabbing, but have yet to locate him.
"He's been eluding us. He's not in this state," Vairo said. "The Los Angeles Sheriff Department and the FBI are assisting us doing a nationwide search for him".
The two murders are the first such violent deaths in the city since 2006.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 29 November 2012 06:36|