Last Update: Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southern California Gas Company Reminds Customers to Be Safe PDF Print E-mail
Written by San Fernando Valley Sun   
Thursday, 06 December 2012 05:10

LOS ANGELES (CNS) - The Southern California Gas Co. reminded Southlanders to follow safety and security guidelines to keep themselves, their friends and their loved ones safe over the holiday season.

"Customers should be vigilant and question anyone who presents themselves as a representative of SoCalGas," said Angela Fentiman of the utility. "All SoCalGas employees carry proper photo identification when called out to any job," Fentiman said. "Verify the employee's uniform and identification before letting anyone in your home or on your property. Most field employees also drive a company vehicle."

Customers can confirm a worker's identity with the Gas Co. by calling (800) 427-2200. Spanish-speaking customers can call (800) 342-4545. Also, as temperatures drop, the utility reminded customers that:

• carbon monoxide poisoning can occur as a result of a poorly ventilated heater, or a carbon monoxide leak from another source. Symptoms can include nausea, headaches, paralysis and even death;

• natural gas furnaces should be checked at least once a year by a licensed heating contractor or SoCalGas;

• it's important to vacuum and clean regularly in and around the furnace, particularly around the burner compartment to prevent a build-up of dust and lint;

• items should never be stored in, on or around the appliance that can obstruct airflow;

• most forced-air units have a filter that cleans the air before heating and circulating it throughout the home. Check furnace filters every month during the heating season and clean or replace the filter when necessary;

• when installing a new or cleaned furnace filter, be sure to re-install the front panel door of the furnace properly so it fits snugly. Never operate the furnace without the frontpanel door properly in place because doing so may create the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning;

• check the appearance of the flame. If the flame is yellow, large and unsteady, the furnace needs to be inspected immediately by a licensed heating contractor or SoCalGas to have the condition corrected;

• using an unvented gas heater in a home is dangerous and a violation of the California Health and Safety Code;.

• an oven, range or outdoor barbecue should never be used to heat a home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose;

• if you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately.

More information is available at http://socalgas.com/safety .

Share
Last Updated on Thursday, 06 December 2012 05:15
 




viagra generic