Last Update: Thursday, December 12, 2013
|Advocates Take Gun Control Message To McKeon|
|Written by Mike Terry|
|Thursday, 22 August 2013 07:36|
OFA, Others Organizations Want Valley Area Congressman To Support Legislation Expanding Background Checks
Photo Courtesy of OFA
OFA advocates spread their message about gun patrol during a protest in Sherman Oaks earlier this year.
Volunteers from the nonprofit organization Organizing For Action (OFA) gathered at the Stevenson Ranch office of Rep. Buck McKeon on Wednesday, Aug. 21, with a simple but not subtle request.
Support pending legislation to expand the ability to make background checks on those purchasing firearms in the United States.
There is bill in the House of Representatives (H.R. 1565), known as the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2013 that would, in the words of the advocates, close loopholes regarding the sale of firearms at gun shows or online, which often don't require such action.
A vote on that bill could happen when the House returns from is summer recess. McKeon (R-25th Dist.) is one of the several congressmen who have not taken a position for or against the bill.
"This is a national day of action," said Peter Rothenberg, an OFA chapter leader. "All across the country, the OFA is putting on events or rallies or phone banks to try and let Congress know what we want."
Joining OFA on Wednesday were representatives of Moms Demand Action and the Brady Campaign. Along with speeches and calls for action, a march and candlelight vigil were planned. McKeon was not at the event, but advocates were able to express their concerns to his district director, Morris Thomas.
Rothenberg said the Senate back in April had considered a gun-buyer background check bill earlier co-sponsored by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.). But a Republican filibuster defeated the bill; 60 votes were needed to end the filibuster, but the final vote was 54-46.
Rothenberg said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (DNev.) was one of those who voted against because that would enable him to have the bill reconsidered.
"This amend is favored by 92 percent of Americans including NRA members," Rothenberg said. "All it says is if you buy a gun you need to have gone through a background check, to close a loophole regarding gun show sales and online sales.
"Only 60 percent of all gun sales have background checks. So who in the other 40 percent are buying those guns? The Newtown killer was denied guys buy gun sellers, but his mom had bought guns for him.
He said Adam Lanza, who shot and killed his mother and 26 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. last December before killing himself, had been unable to buy guns but his mother had purchased the weapons for him.
Another speaker at Wednesday's event, Hollye Dexter, a Los Angeles chapter leader for Moms Demand Action, also called on McKeon and others who have not publicly expressed any opposition to support the legislation. "We want them to do the will of the people and vote yes," Dexter said.
"McKeon has a 100 percent rating from gun owners, and an 'A' rating from the NRA. He can make a huge difference. Many congressmen are friends, and when they see one of their friends change on a vote, others may do the same."
|Last Updated on Thursday, 22 August 2013 07:40|