Last Update: Thursday, April 17, 2014
|GAME OF THE WEEK- Knights Try To Ground Eagles|
|Written by San Fernando Valley Sun|
|Thursday, 27 September 2012 04:33|
It's a rather light football schedule this week for Valley area teams. That doesn't mean there aren't any good games because Notre Dame vs. Chaminade certainly qualifies.
The Knights (4-1), whose only loss was the season opener against Gardena Serra on Aug. 24, are rebounding nicely from a subpar (for them) 6-4 season in 2011. The offense is pretty balanced – 168.3 yards passing and 126.3 yards rushing per game. But Notre Dame also as a legitimate game-breaker in senior running back Khalfani Muhammad who has the speed to score from anywhere on the field.
Chaminade (3-1) prefers to run and run and run, averaging 218 yards per game.
Running back Terrell Newby, a senior, is the primary hammer with 690 rushing yards and nine touchdowns. The weakness of a heavy dependence on the running game is it's not a good come-from-behind offense, as Westlake Village Oaks Christian proved in handing the Eagles their lone defeat on Sept. 14.
The kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Notre Dame.
Other games involving Valley Area teams this week include:
Friday, Sept. 28
• Sierra Canyon (4-0,1-0) vs. Los Angeles Windward (3-1,1-1), Pacific Palisades High
East Valley League
• Arleta (4-0,1-0) at Poly (0- 5,0-1)
• Chavez (1-4,0-1) at Grant (0-4,0-1)
• Verdugo Hills (1-3,0-0) at Monroe (1-4,1-0)
Valley Mission League
• Canoga Park (2-2,0-1) at Reseda (2-3,0-1)
• Kennedy (0-4,0-0) at San Fernando (4-0,1-0)
• Sylmar (2-2,1-0) at Van Nuys (4-1,1-0)
• Cleveland (1-3) at Sun Valley (0-5), 3 p.m.
• Lynwood Firebaugh (0-4) at Village Christian (2-3)
• Norco (3-1) at Alemany (4- 1)
All games start at 7 p.m. unless otherwise indicated.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 27 September 2012 04:34|